[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Evidence Based Vet Forum • View topic - please help v sick cat desperate

please help v sick cat desperate

Issues involving physical examinations and testing. Questions, answers, theories, and evidence.
When are examinations and testing necessary?

please help v sick cat desperate

Postby mmagenta » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:24 am

My beloved cat is fading fast. He has gone from lovely healthy rotund cat with great appetite to fragile bag of bones within a month or so. Now so weak can hardly stand. The vet is completely at a loss.

My wonderful vet has tested for toxopalsmosis / FIV / FIP leukemia all negative. all blood work has come back normal [liver blood sugar kidneys etc] He isn’t diabetic. She has x rayed and scanned and he has no tumours or blockages.

The only thing she has found is a “slightly” enlarged heart and she has prescribed him Fortekor. However this seems to have made him worse and even more listless. I suspect that she feels she must come up with some kind of answer as this has already cost me £500 [not that it matters if we can find whats wrong with him] and I think she just feels she needs to tell me something as she knows how worried I am. I don’t feel this is the problem and may just be a side effect of whatetever his root problem is.

She has also put him on an antibiotic [synulox]. Hes been hospitalised on drips for a couple of days but is now home.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with him. I feel like we are running out of time and im so desperate;-( now hes developed a v bad sneeze too which he could have picked up when hospitalised

He has always been very healthy other than having a tapeworm as a kitten. Always had v v healthy appetite. He is a 3 year old Russian blue.

Please please help. Any ideas very greatfully received.

Thank you

MMagenta
mmagenta

Postby guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:58 am

please post the medical records

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:42 am

the records I have are below. Vet also tested blood glucose/liver/kidneys at his previous hospitalisation but i dont have those records... which she said were all normal

would fortekor make him listless [even more than before] ?
09/12/05
drip 500ml intravenous injection 0.25 mls Synulox RTU 40ml
injection ml Ketofen Inj 1%
I/v fluids and abx/NSAID support
Injection 0.50mls Retarbolin inj
Test FeLV/FIV/Toxo/FIP negative results

10.12/05
injection 0.25mls synulox rtu 40ml
injection 0.80mls ketofen inj 1%

abdomen scan NAD
Cat conscious x-ray Heart enlarged and globular [vet did say this was only slight]

Prescribed
8 tablets synulox 50mg
Fortekor 2.5mg

thank you
mmagenta

Postby guest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:48 pm

did you pay for test? If so, most governments require the vet to furnish clients copys of test results.

Return to Physical Examinations and Testing