CE credits for promoting non proven medical care

Electronic medical records (EMRs) hold great promise for improving the practice of evidence based medicine by facilitating communication between members of the health care team. The most profound influence of EMRs may lie in their ability to encourage clients' involvement in their own pets care.

veterinarians not a licensed healthcare professional

Postby malernee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:10 pm

I guess we are chopped liver.<G>

-----Original Message-----
To: artjamie@aol.com
Sent: Mon, Oct 19, 2009 11:57 am
Subject: CE BROKER

Answer:
Thank you for contacting CE Broker. We are only tracking continuing education for licensed healthcare professionals so we would not be able to track for your profession. If we can be of further assistance please contact the CE Broker Helpdesk.

Question:
i am a fl licenced veterinarian. can i try your 7day free trial?
malernee
Site Admin

Thank you for contacting the Florida Board of Pharmacy reply

Postby malernee » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:07 am

To: MQA_Pharmacy@doh.state.fl.us
Sent: Thu, Oct 22, 2009 12:38 pm
Subject: Re: Internet Feedback

Does the board of pharmacy award hours of CE credits for attending phamacy board meetings? If so how does the pharmacy board measure the awarded CE hours for attending pharmacy board meetings? Do the hours of pharmacy board attended awarded CE match the hours recorded in the boards published meeting notes? It has been reported that the continuing education non-compliance rate for Florida healthcare professionals varied, depending on the Regulating Board, from a low of 7% to a high in excess of 30% before the CE tracking project was established. Is that study available anywhere? Veterinarians are not included in the project so I could not sign up to obtain the information directly from the horses mouth.<G>
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Thank you for contacting the Florida Board of Pharmacy. Please clarify
your question. I am unsure of what information you are seeking.

Sent: Tue, Oct 20, 2009 3:58 pm
Subject: FW: Internet Feedback

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
Regulatory Supervisor/Consultant
Florida Board of Pharmacy
(850) 245-4292
Fax: (850) 413-6982
Learn more about the Board of Pharmacy by visiting
www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy
To change your address, request a duplicate, or renew your license
online please visit: www.flhealthsource.com.
How's my customer service? Let me know at
http://survey.doh.state.fl.us/survey/en ... 4772782379
Would you like to receive email notifications about Board meetings,
Committee meetings, new rules and other useful information, click on the
mailman link
http://flems.doh.state.fl.us/mailman/li ... ofpharmacy
Mission: Promote, protect and improve the health of all people n
Florida.
Vision: A healthier future for the people of Florida.
Purpose: To protect the public through health care licensure,
enforcement and information.
Focus: To be the nation's leader in quality health care regulation.
Please note : Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written
communications to or from state officials regarding state business are
public records available to the public and media upon request. Your
e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 9:14 AM
To: zzzz Feedback, MQA

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 6:25 AM
To: zzzz Feedback, Health
Subject: Internet Feedback

Department of Health Contacts / Feedback Feedback for: Department of
Health Feedback
Sent to: Health@doh.state.fl.us

1. Message Type: Problem

2. Comments: I am trying to contact someone by email about who hours of
CE provided by licensed Fla pharmacist to veterinarians.

Art Malernee dvm
fla licence 1820

3. Rating: Excellent

4. Name: art malernee dvm

5. Email: artjamie@aol.com

6. Telephone: 561 2721552

7. Address: 1950 atlantic ave

8. City: delray beach

9. State: fl

10. Zip: 22444

11. Fax:

12. Contact Now: Yes
(User selected 'Please contact me as soon as possible regarding this
matter.')

13. Contact: No
(User selected 'Mail me more information.')

--

For up-to-date information about H1N1 Swine Flu visit http://www.myflusafety.com
or call 877-352-3581
malernee
Site Admin

Pharmacy gives 5 hr credit for a "day" of board m

Postby malernee » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:15 am

Sent: Sat, Oct 24, 2009 10:57 am

Can you show me thepharmacy law that shows me how those 5 CE hours are measured?

Here is my story. I took as much of a day off work to travel to attend our veterinary board meeting held in Ft Lauderdale as I could. I had questions to ask someone in attendance there about 2hour pharmacy "approved" CE requirements vets in Fla must get. The vet board meeting had been promoted as a day long event to me when I made phone calls. It turned out to be a morning only event. I was under the impression those vets who attended the board meeting would get what had been called "approved" CE hours. I arrived at the hotel late morining only to find out the meeting had already ended. I talked to a vet at the hotel who in now the president of the FVMA. I have in the past paid this vet to provide me "board awarded CE" at meetings before he was president. In the old days He had me sign back in after lunch at his board awarded CE meetings to get a five hour award . The FVMA president told me the veterinary board meetings currently NEVER last past noon. That can be confirmed because the starting and closing times are published by the vet board on the internet for the public to see . How can I can promote to the board I got an hour of "awarded" continuing education without violating the FDA definition of Health Fraud? Board awarded CE smells like "certified" organic food only I am required by law to produce it. Is promoting required by law board awarded CE an exception to the law in Pharmacy or do your Pharmacy meeting last at least 5 hours? I have noticed that Physicians in many states only refer to awarded CE and have dropped the word "hours" so that awarded CE does not need to be measured in hours. None of the local vet CE courses I have been to in the last 10 years measure CE in real time as defined in board rule 61G18-16.002 (2) (a), F.A.C. Unless you can count the time getting food and drinks before the meeting starts and things like liquor raffles after the speaker stops. Since the vet board publishes the starting and stop time of their meetings with the minutes of the meeting on the Internet the public can see the vet board is not meeting its own requirements. The large corporations and small businesses like a compounding pharmacist that sponsor our CE meetings in the state locally do not publish the minutes of approved CE meetings. The public has no idea that the 2 hour pharmacy CE meeting is not meeting board requirements. The vets at the meeting are required to produce the CE hours to the board when nothing has been measured in hours. Usually it is a compounding pharmacist that we pay to provide these awarded CE hours. If you are aware of all the polo ponies that dropped dead I hope laws would have prevented this from happening if the polo riders had been "juiced" or "jugged" but that is another issue about what we are told the law says at these CE pharmacy meetings.

FDA definition of fraud quoted in Sept/Oct 93 NCAHF Bulletin Board: The deceptive promotion, advertisement, distribution or sale of articles, intended for human or animal use, that are represented as being effective to diagnose, prevent, cure, treat or mitigate disease (or other conditions), or provide a beneficial effect on health, but which have not been scientifically proven safe and effective for such purposes. Such practices may be deliberate, or done without adequate knowledge or understanding of the article. (Quoted from a letter from M L Frazier - Director, State Information Branch 6/18/93).

and here is the law as interpreted by linda from the dbpr.

In a message dated 8/10/2009 12:37:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Linda.Tinsley@dbpr.state.fl.us writes:
Dr. Malernee,

I apologize for not responding sooner to you e-mail. I wanted to consult with board counsel and she was out of town last week. In accordance with board rule 61G18-16.002 (2) (a), F.A.C. Continuing Education Requirements for Active Status License Renewals, One (1) hour equals a minimum of fifty (50) minutes and a maximum of sixty (60) minutes. Total hours of lecture time cannot be added up and divided into fifty (50) minute intervals to obtain 1 hour credit for each 50 minute interval. Continuing Education hours are based on this rule. If the meeting is from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. the continuing education credit would be 4 hours.

Does the pharmacy board measure a hour of CE? If so what formula or rule do they follow?

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Yes pharmacist who attend a Board meeting where disciplinary matters are heard will receive 5 continuing education hours if they attend the meeting all day.

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
Learn more about the Board of Pharmacy by visiting www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy
To change your address, request a duplicate, or renew your license online please visit: www.flhealthsource.com.
How's my customer service? Let me know at http://survey.doh.state.fl.us/survey/en ... 4772782379
Would you like to receive email notifications about Board meetings, Committee meetings, new rules and other useful information, click on the mailman link http://flems.doh.state.fl.us/mailman/li ... ofpharmacy

Sent: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 4:39 pm
Subject: RE: Internet Feedback

Yes pharmacist who attend a Board meeting where disciplinary matters are heard will receive 5 continuing education hours if they attend the meeting all day.

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
Learn more about the Board of Pharmacy by visiting www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy
To change your address, request a duplicate, or renew your license online please visit: www.flhealthsource.com.
How's my customer service? Let me know at http://survey.doh.state.fl.us/survey/en ... 4772782379
Would you like to receive email notifications about Board meetings, Committee meetings, new rules and other useful information, click on the mailman link http://flems.doh.state.fl.us/mailman/li ... ofpharmacy
Mission: Promote, protect and improve the health of all people n Florida.
Purpose: To protect the public through health care licensure, enforcement and information.
Please note : Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from state officials regarding state business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:38 PM
To: zzzz Feedback, MQA_Pharmacy

Does the board of pharmacy award hours of CE credits for attending phamacy board meetings? If so how does the pharmacy board measure the awarded CE hours for attending pharmacy board meetings? Do the hours of pharmacy board attended awarded CE match the hours recorded in the boards published meeting notes? It has been reported that the continuing education non-compliance rate for Florida healthcare professionals varied, depending on the Regulating Board, from a low of 7% to a high in excess of 30% before the CE tracking project was established. Is that study available anywhere? Veterinarians are not included in the project so I could not sign up to obtain the information directly from the horses mouth.<G>
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
mailman link
Florida.

Health Feedback

Art Malernee dvm
fla licence 1820

11. Fax:

matter.')

--

For up-to-date information about H1N1 Swine Flu visit http://www.myflusafety.com
or call 877-352-3581

For up-to-date information about H1N1 Swine Flu visit http://www.myflusafety.com or call 877 352 3581
malernee
Site Admin

Does the pharmacy law define or measure if full day is <8

Postby malernee » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:19 am

Sent: Wed, Oct 28, 2009 9:04 am

Does the pharmacy law define or measure what a full day is other then saying "or 8 hours". If other CE provided meetings for pharmacist aways started at 8am ended before noon could pharmacist also be awarded (5) hours of CE for those meetings?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Sent: Tue, Oct 27, 2009 5:43 pm

64B16-26.103 Continuing Education Credits; License Renewal; Consultant Pharmacist License Renewal; Nuclear Pharmacist License Renewal.

(d) Five (5) hours of continuing education in the subject area of risk management may be obtained by attending one (1) full day or eight (8) hours of a board meeting at which disciplinary hearings are conducted by the Board of Pharmacy in compliance with the following:
1. The licensee must sign in with the Executive Director or designee of the Board before the meeting day begins;
2. The licensee must remain in continuous attendance;
3. The licensee cannot receive continuing education for attendance at a board meeting if required to appear before the board; and
4. The maximum continuing education hours allowable per biennium under this paragraph shall be ten (10).

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
Purpose: To protect the public through health care licensure, enforcement and information.
Please note : Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from state officials regarding state business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:58 AM

Can you show me thepharmacy law that shows me how those 5 CE hours are measured?

Here is my story. I took as much of a day off work to travel to attend our veterinary board meeting held in Ft Lauderdale as I could. I had questions to ask someone in attendance there about 2hour pharmacy "approved" CE requirements vets in Fla must get. The vet board meeting had been promoted as a day long event to me when I made phone calls. It turned out to be a morning only event. I was under the impression those vets who attended the board meeting would get what had been called "approved" CE hours. I arrived at the hotel late morining only to find out the meeting had already ended. I talked to a vet at the hotel who in now the president of the FVMA. I have in the past paid this vet to provide me "board awarded CE" at meetings before he was president. In the old days He had me sign back in after lunch at his board awarded CE meetings to get a five hour award . The FVMA president told me the veterinary board meetings currently NEVER last past noon. That can be confirmed because the starting and closing times are published by the vet board on the internet for the public to see . How can I can promote to the board I got an hour of "awarded" continuing education without violating the FDA definition of Health Fraud? Board awarded CE smells like "certified" organic food only I am required by law to produce it. Is promoting required by law board awarded CE an exception to the law in Pharmacy or do your Pharmacy meeting last at least 5 hours? I have noticed that Physicians in many states only refer to awarded CE and have dropped the word "hours" so that awarded CE does not need to be measured in hours. None of the local vet CE courses I have been to in the last 10 years measure CE in real time as defined in board rule 61G18-16.002 (2) (a), F.A.C. Unless you can count the time getting food and drinks before the meeting starts and things like liquor raffles after the speaker stops. Since the vet board publishes the starting and stop time of their meetings with the minutes of the meeting on the Internet the public can see the vet board is not meeting its own requirements. The large corporations and small businesses like a compounding pharmacist that sponsor our CE meetings in the state locally do not publish the minutes of approved CE meetings. The public has no idea that the 2 hour pharmacy CE meeting is not meeting board requirements. The vets at the meeting are required to produce the CE hours to the board when nothing has been measured in hours. Usually it is a compounding pharmacist that we pay to provide these awarded CE hours. If you are aware of all the polo ponies that dropped dead I hope laws would have prevented this from happening if the polo riders had been "juiced" or "jugged" but that is another issue about what we are told the law says at these CE pharmacy meetings.

FDA definition of fraud quoted in Sept/Oct 93 NCAHF Bulletin Board: The deceptive promotion, advertisement, distribution or sale of articles, intended for human or animal use, that are represented as being effective to diagnose, prevent, cure, treat or mitigate disease (or other conditions), or provide a beneficial effect on health, but which have not been scientifically proven safe and effective for such purposes. Such practices may be deliberate, or done without adequate knowledge or understanding of the article. (Quoted from a letter from M L Frazier - Director, State Information Branch 6/18/93).

In a message dated 8/10/2009 12:37:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Linda.Tinsley@dbpr.state.fl.us writes:
Dr. Malernee,

I apologize for not responding sooner to you e-mail. I wanted to consult with board counsel and she was out of town last week. In accordance with board rule 61G18-16.002 (2) (a), F.A.C. Continuing Education Requirements for Active Status License Renewals, One (1) hour equals a minimum of fifty (50) minutes and a maximum of sixty (60) minutes. Total hours of lecture time cannot be added up and divided into fifty (50) minute intervals to obtain 1 hour credit for each 50 minute interval. Continuing Education hours are based on this rule. If the meeting is from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. the continuing education credit would be 4 hours.

Does the pharmacy board measure a hour of CE? If so what formula or rule do they follow?

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
mailman link
Florida.

Health Feedback

Art Malernee dvm
fla licence 1820

11. Fax:

matter.')

--

or call 877-352-3581

For up-to-date information about H1N1 Swine Flu visit http://www.myflusafety.com or call 877 352 3581

malernee
Site Admin

how do you measure a half day of CE hours?

Postby malernee » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:01 am

I wrote

Does the pharmacy law define or measure what a full day is other then saying "or (8) hours". If other CE provided meetings for pharmacist aways started at 8am ended before noon could pharmacist also be awarded (5) hours of CE for those meetings?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820
Daisy wrote

The full day would be from the start of the meeting until the end when the certificates are presented to the attending pharmacist. The 5 hours are only given by attending a Board of Pharmacy meeting.

Daisy, If the board meeting only lasted a half day how many CE certificate hours would attending pharmacist get?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Sent: Fri, Oct 30, 2009 5:09 pm

The full day would be from the start of the meeting until the end when the certificates are presented to the attending pharmacist. The 5 hours are only given by attending a Board of Pharmacy meeting.

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:04 AM

Does the pharmacy law define or measure what a full day is other then saying "or (8) hours". If other CE provided meetings for pharmacist aways started at 8am ended before noon could pharmacist also be awarded (5) hours of CE for those meetings?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

64B16-26.103 Continuing Education Credits; License Renewal; Consultant Pharmacist License Renewal; Nuclear Pharmacist License Renewal.

(d) Five (5) hours of continuing education in the subject area of risk management may be obtained by attending one (1) full day or eight (8) hours of a board meeting at which disciplinary hearings are conducted by the Board of Pharmacy in compliance with the following:
1. The licensee must sign in with the Executive Director or designee of the Board before the meeting day begins;
3. The licensee cannot receive continuing education for attendance at a board meeting if required to appear before the board; and
4. The maximum continuing education hours allowable per biennium under this paragraph shall be ten (10).

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Dr. Malernee,

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
mailman link
Florida.

Health Feedback

Art Malernee dvm
fla licence 1820

11. Fax:

matter.')

--

or call 877-352-3581

malernee
Site Admin

pharmacy meetings usually end at 4pm

Postby malernee » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:41 am

Sent: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 8:19 pm

The pharmacy board promotes on their website

"Meeting Dates and Locations:
Continuing Education - Pursuant to Rule 64B16-26.103(1)(d), five (5) hours of continuing education credits may be obtained by attending one (1) full day of a board meeting at which disciplinary hearings are conducted by the Board of Pharmacy. The Board conducts disciplinary hearings on Wednesdays. The meeting begins at 8:00 a.m. and usually ends at 4:00 p.m."

Does the pharmacy board publish the times when each meeting begins and ends like the Veterinary board does so the public can can see the pharmacy meetings usually end at 4pm and not before lunch?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Sent: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 5:53 pm

These hearings are only held at Board meetings and the meetings last all day. The certificates are given to the licensee at the end of the Board meeting for 5 hours there is no partial credit given regardless of the length of the meeting. You can not receive this credit for attending any other meeting.
Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
malernee
Site Admin

start time of the pharm meeting is posted but not end time

Postby malernee » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:45 am

-

----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, Nov 11, 2009 8:41 am

Daisy,
Is there anyone that has measured the ending times of the FLA pharmacy meetings that I could email to get a copy?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Sent: Tue, Nov 10, 2009 4:00 pm

The start time of the meeting is posted on the agenda but not an ending time.

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:08 AM

Daisy, does the pharmacy board publish the opening and closing times of the pharmacy board meetings on the internet like the florida veterinary board does so the public can see how long the meetings last? I tried to find any published hours of fla pharmacy board meetings with Google but could not find a link.
art malernee dvm
Florida licence 1820

Sent: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 5:53 pm

These hearings are only held at Board meetings and the meetings last all day. The certificates are given to the licensee at the end of the Board meeting for 5 hours there is no partial credit given regardless of the length of the meeting. You can not receive this credit for attending any other meeting.
Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:56 AM

I wrote

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820
Daisy wrote

Daisy, If the board meeting only lasted a half day how many CE certificate hours would attending pharmacist get?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Sent: Fri, Oct 30, 2009 5:09 pm

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:04 AM

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Dr. Malernee,

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292
mailman link
Florida.

Health Feedback

Art Malernee dvm
fla licence 1820

11. Fax:

matter.')

--

or call 877-352-3581

malernee
Site Admin

fla pharmacy board meetings not measured

Postby malernee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:24 am

No the ending times are different because it all depends on the amount of cases and other material that the Board will be reviewing at that particular meeting that determines the length of the meeting.

Have a nice day.
Most Sincerely,
Daisy King
(850) 245-4292

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:42 AM

Daisy,
Is there anyone that has measured the ending times of the FLA pharmacy meetings that I could email to get a copy?
art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820
malernee
Site Admin

no reply from linda from fla state vet board in weeks

Postby malernee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:30 am

The state board promotes they have a person incharge if you have questions but Sarah Wachman Office of the General Counsel who they promote in the literature as "in-charge of Administrative Complaint cases if you have questions" no longer works there for the state of Florida and the position has not been filled I am told over the phone. I sent this email (below)and have gotten no reply. My plan is to post my required by law CE on this website and show my clients the fda defined healthfraud promoted at these required by law CE meetings. If the law still requires they be measured in hours and I post the opening and closing times of the meetings like the Fla vet board does on their websites the public can see I am not meeting the required by law CE hours. My hope is to get the meetings really measured in hours or drop the hour measurement like the physicians have from their required by law CE.

To: elizabeth.duffy@dbpr.state.fl.us
Sent: Tue, Feb 2, 2010 8:46 am
Subject: contacting Sarah Wachman about Administrative Complaints

Elizabeth F. Duffy
assistant general Counsel

Elizabeth,

I have read from DBRP documents I can contact Sarah Wachman Office of the General Counsel who in-charge of Administrative Complaint cases if I have questions. When I called the number provided by the dbpr 850 4880062 I was told she no longer works for the DBPR and her position has not been filled yet. Someone on the phone told me they would have you contact me instead but I did not get a call from you or the name of the person who told me they would have you call me. Can you email me back or give me the email address of someone who can help me with administrative complaints? If you cannot help me please reply that you got this email so I know I have your correct email address.
thanks

art malernee dvm
fla lic 1820
malernee
Site Admin

Previous

Return to My Pet Medical Records