calicivirus vaccine may need reevaluation for effectiveness

Issues involving cat vaccines. Questions, answers, theories, and evidence.
Why do vaccines cause cancer in cats but not dogs or humans?

calicivirus vaccine may need reevaluation for effectiveness

Postby malernee » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:06 am

Detection of Feline calicivirus (FCV) from Vaccinated Cats and Phylogenetic Analysis of its Capsid Genes
Vet Res Commun. April 2006;30(3):293-305.
K Ohe, S Sakai, F Sunaga, M Murakami, A Kiuchi, M Fukuyama, K Furuhata, M Hara, T Soma, Y Ishikawa, A Taneno
Department of Microbiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Azabu University, 1-17-71 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa, 229-8501, dv0202@azabu-u.ac.jp.

Abstract
We analysed genogroups of four feline calcivirus (FCV) isolates (FCV-S, H10, Ao198-1 and ML89) obtained from cats that experienced FCV infection after having been vaccinated against FCV. New PCR primer sets (8F/8R, Ao-S/Ao-A, cp-S/cp-A) were also designed, since the conventional Seal primer failed to amplify the target sequences in two samples. The genogroups of the four isolates as well as eight global and 17 domestic strains were determined by phylogenetic analysis of their amino acid sequences. One out of the four strains (25%) isolated in this study, H10, was grouped into genogroup I, along with the vaccine strains F9 and FCV-255. The other three isolates (75%) belonged to genogroup II. Thus, there were more isolates in genogroup II than in genogroup I. However, the antibody values of the four isolates against cat anti-F9 antisera were significantly decreased. There may be no relationship between the neutralizing antibody titre and genogroup. Amino acid sequence alignment of the four isolates showed that only a single amino acid in region C, which is involved in neutralization epitopes, was different in ML89 strain from that of F9. The other three strains, H10, Ao198-1 and FCV-B, shared the same amino acid sequence with F9. Alignment of amino acids for linear epitopes in the F9 strain, which are located at regions D and E, showed variations in 5' hypervariable region (HVR) of E, whereas D and conE had only synonymous substitutions i.e. no change in the amino acid sequence. This mutation in 5' HVR of region E suggested a vaccine breakdown, as the region is known to be essential for antigenicity. The genogroup II FCV is likely to be the cause of the FCV infection in this study, while the vaccine strains belong to genogroup I. Thus, the existing vaccine may need reevaluation for its effectiveness.
malernee
Site Admin

Return to Cat Vaccines